1. Mark Bartlett CLCSPRO
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    You must have insurance when you rent a car. You have the option to either purchase the insurance offered by the rental car agency or if you personal policy extends you have the option to use your own personal auto insurance coverage. Always check with your agent to see if your own insurance will cover you in a rental car. The rental car agency is not going to let you rent their vehicle without insurance.
    Answered on November 13, 2013
  2. Jack HellerPRO
    Owner, Insurance Browser,
    Mark has given you a good answer which I would like to expand upon. Always share where you are going with your agent.Even if your policy extends to temporary use of a substitute vehicles, ( which many policies do). Be sure your agent understands where you expect to rent. Most auto policies in the US have geographical limitations too. Note most policies in the US extend use and coverage into Canada. Note it does not say US, Canada and Mexico

    The reason it does not,  is that you have to buy your legal liability coverage from a Mexican insurer either as you cross the border or from agents who can legally sell that coverage. 

    If you are traveling and renting a car in multiple countries I suggest you ask your agent for more information on umbrella policies which typically have some coverage world wide, but even then be sure your agent has reviewed your itinerary before you land in another country.  IF you get there and have an umbrella, it is best to at least buy the minimum coverage available in the country while you visit.
    Keep this advice : don't ignore the locals. 
    Answered on November 14, 2013
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>