We have a new 16 year old driver. Friends are telling us in MN if the cars he is driving are fully insured he doesn’t have to be insured (meaning we don’t have to tell our agent or increase our rates). This seems crazy to me.

1. 730 POINTS
    Darald Novak AAI
    Retired Agent and Broker, Self Employed, Albany NY USA
    A read of your insurance contract is mandatory in this instance. The insuring agreement is critical as it sets forth who is considered an insured. Is your new driver licensed or does he have a permit? Is he a member of the household or not? Does he have regular use of a vehicle? There are many questions which must be answered to determine if this operator is covered while driving one of your autos. A competent and knowledgeable agent or broker will be able to examine your insurance policy and provide the answers.
    Answered on June 9, 2017
  2. 1185 POINTS
    Scott W JohnsonPRO
    Manager, Marindependent Insurance Services LLC, California
    Read your insurance contract and call your insurance agent to discuss this.

The question about does my 16 year "have to be insured" is concerning from many levels.

If your 16 year old is driving, then "he" should be covered by some auto insurance one way or another potentially mandated by the state you live in.
    Answered on June 14, 2017
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?
    Yes
    No
    Go!

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>