1. Edward HarrisPRO
    Owner, Best Online Insurance Rates, US
    Health insurance on a 60-year old can be very affordable...if you shop the right way! Perhaps as low as $50 per month! (with subsidy) As an experienced broker (33 years of experience), our job is to help consumers.

I'll keep my answer short and to the point. The cost depends on your age, where you live and the type of plan you choose. It takes about 90 seconds to calculate the rate, which will be helped if you qualify for a federal subsidy.
    Answered on May 13, 2014
  2. Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Haymarket, Virginia
    The average cost in the country for a health insurance plan (overall) is estimated to be about $328 per month - however, this is only reflective upon a silver level plan (not all 2014 state figure averages are available yet). While you can try to come up with an "average" cost, there's too many factors that go into premium pricing to say how in relation that compares to an individual as compared to the overall group. 

In short, an "average" premium is a rather useless figure to the individual. It's only representative to a large group - you could have people paying a small nominal amount (after factoring in subsidies) per month to several thousand dollars per month. Even for that there's a ton of information to sift through to get an accurate representation.

Under the Affordable Care Act, you have the options for bronze, silver, gold, and platinum level plans (as you go up in metal, the price goes up, but provides better benefits) - some areas also have a catastrophic plan available. In addition, your age and zip codes are big factors as well. The younger you are, the cheaper your premium - the older you are, the higher your premium. Also, if you use tobacco products, your premium can be increased up to 50% as well.

I always recommend consulting with an experienced broker regarding your personal health coverage. We can work with you to look at a wide range of options from many of the top carriers in the industry and find the plan that's going to be best suitable for your needs. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks very much.
    Answered on May 9, 2014

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>