1. Insurance Advisor, The Mrozek Agency, Ann Arbor, MI
    I have an in ground pool in my own back yard and we absolutely love it.  It's great being the house that all my kids' friends want to go to.  But, does it increase my insurance premiums?  Not necessarily, although it probably should.  I'll explain why in just a moment.  First, let's look at what an insurance company wants if you do have a pool.  The biggest thing they want is a fenced enclosure around the entire pool.  They want to be sure that anyone who enters the pool intended to enter the pool.  Also to keep animals and small children from wandering into the pool.  It's usually not a case of a premium increase, it's a yes or no question.  If you do what they want(fence), they'll usually insure you with no increases.  If you don't do what they want, they'll just refuse to insure you.

Now, why would your premium increase?  Because a pool brings more liability along with it.  Bad things can happen even if you take precautions.  I would recommend liability limits of at least $500,000 and, usually at least a $1,000,000 umbrella policy.  Doing this may cost you a little more but it's well worth it.  It may be as little as $85/year or it may be a little more depending on your home, cars, and family.

Be smart, spend small dollars now to avoid big dollars later.
    Answered on December 3, 2013

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>