1. 1365 POINTS
    Robert Attala LUTCF, PFPPRO
    Agency Owner, A1 Insurance LLC, Arizona, California Agency
    Great Question. Homeowners typically covers a pipe that burst from normal wear and usage. You have to read your homeowners policy for coverage and exclusion. Also you should call your insurance agent and ask if that is something that is covered under your particular policy. Most offer but some companies exclude it.
    Answered on October 17, 2013
  2. 16495 POINTS
    David OsgoodPRO
    Agent, Rural Mutual Insurance Co., Union Grove, WI
    If the burst pipe was caused by a maintenance issue there is a good possibility that a claim would not be covered by your homeonwers policy and even if the claim is covered you may still be subject to the policy's deductible. When you own a home maintenance of that home is something that can be quite challenging but needs to be done in order to prevent non-covered incidents from occuring.
    Answered on October 17, 2013
  3. 215 POINTS
    Stu Cohen
    Founder, City Building Owners Insurance, Somers, NY
    As both Robert and David mention, you'll need to consult your specific policy to determine what's covered and what's excluded. Generally speaking, normal wear and tear and routine maintenance are not covered. However, many homeowner policies will cover the water damage from a sudden rupture or burst pipe, subject to your deductible, although they exclude the plumber repairs to fix the pipe.
    Answered on March 7, 2016
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>