1. 16495 POINTS
    David OsgoodPRO
    Agent, Rural Mutual Insurance Co., Union Grove, WI
    Your homeowners insurance will more than likely go up if you have a pool on your property. Every carrier and policy are different. The factors that will affect your rate are the type of pool. Is it above ground or in ground? How large is the pool? Is there a locked gate and fence around the pool? These are just a few of the factors that will possibly affect your premium. Contact your local agent to find out what effect a pool would have on your homeowners coverage.
    Answered on May 29, 2013
  2. 1909 POINTS
    HDA Insurance BrokeragePRO
    Director, HDA Insurance Brokerage, California
    A swimming pool at a private residence should make no premium difference whatseover on Homeowners Insurance; however, there may be a disqualification issue.   If the swimming pool is not fenced with a latched gate from the outside of the property, it is unlikely that an insurance carrier will accept the risk. 

    Also, there are a number of insurance carriers that will not accept a home if the pool has a diving board or slide on the property. 

    For further information, please do ask your insurance agent regarding the underwriting rules of the specific carrier you may be insuring with!
    Answered on May 29, 2013
  3. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    All companies are different so it is best that you contact your Insurance Professional and ask about your specific policy.  In my experience, I can say that my clients' policies have not cost more simply BECAUSE they have a pool.  I will say that having a pool does bring with it additional responsibilities as a property owner.  In many areas, town or municipal ordanances specifically state the regulations that apply: fencing, security set-back, etc.  From an insurance point of view, if you are not compliant with local ordanances, you may not be eligible for coverage under an insurance company's underwriting standards.
    All that having been said, be compliant, and then be sure that you have the proper amount of liability coverage on your Homeowners' policy.  In addition, we always recommend excess protection by a Personal Umbrella Liability policy.  These are fairly inexpensive and provide an extra measure of protection above and beyond your Homeowners' policy.
    Answered on May 29, 2013
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>