1. 947 POINTS
    Jose S Sanchez JrPRO
    President, The Insurance Advisor, Burr Ridge, IL
    Long Term Care and the cost associated with it is rising in the US. According to page 63 in the 2015 Medicare and You Book "At least 70% of people over 65 will need long-term care services and support at some point". It's always important to consider factoring in those cost in your retirement planning. Cost vary from state to state, you can find a great resource that outlines these costs at http://longtermcare.gov/costs-how-to-pay/costs-of-care-in-your-state/. No matter how you look at it Long Term Care Insurance is expensive and there is a lot of underwriting that goes with it.
    A viable option for a lot of families is to consider short term care insurance. Premiums are much lower and the underwriting process is much easier. Many application are approved in under a week. Short Term Care plans can pay for nursing home facility, assisted living facility, home health care, adult day care and hospice care.
    Feel free to contact us for more information.
    Answered on March 26, 2015
  2. 113 POINTS
    Brandi Jo Newman
    Founder, BrandiJoNewman.com, Texas
    My clients who are over the age of 55 pay between $4,000 to $7,000 a year. These are clients that have no other assets to exchange for an asset based long term care annuity.

My other clients who have large assets will exchange them for a long term care annuity with guaranteed benefits, guaranteed growth on the principle and a guaranteed death benefit. They do not have to use the annuity for a specific long term care need. It is just another to pay for long term care without losing principle.

Long term care insurance is a racket. The riders, the definitions and some companies just don't have a good contract for those who need to pay premiums instead of exchanging assets.
    Answered on March 26, 2015
  3. 15433 POINTS
    Jason GoldenzweigPRO
    Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
    The average cost of long-term care insurance depends on a number of factors as the policies are very customizable. If you're looking for a more basic option, I would estimate a range of around $1,800-$2,300 per year in premiums. If you want something more comprehensive, you're probably looking at something more so in the range of $4,000-$6,000 per year. The most comprehensive plans can be $7,000 or more per year.

Factors such as the person's age, health, only applying as an individual, applying as a married couple, daily benefit levels, benefit periods, compound inflation options, elimination/waiting periods, and other items will really impact what the cost for a plan will be.

In today's world, there's a very good chance you will need long-term care at some point in your life. If you were paying for long-term care out of pocket, you can expect to be writing a check for at least $40,000 per year - something more specialized like a nursing home, then possibly well over $100,000 per year. Unfortunately, not too many people can write that check. While writing a check for several thousand dollars a year in premiums for long-term care coverage can have a bit of sticker shock, it can potentially save you 10's of thousands of dollars in the future if it happens to you. So the idea of the coverage is to transfer the risk to the insurance company in exchange for a small premium and use their money rather than your own to pay for the expenses if that care is ever needed.

The long and short being that the "average cost" is an irrelevant figure. It only gives you an idea. The actual cost you can expect to pay depends on your needs and what you want to accomplish with the coverage. From there you can start to compare numbers.

I would suggest speaking with an independent insurance agent who works with long-term care insurance products and can compare multiple companies for you. An agent can help you sort through all the zigs and zags of long-term care insurance and help determine what coverage will best serve your needs. If you need help with your coverage, please feel free to call or e-mail me via the contact me button - I have an agent in my group with a strong background in long-term care insurance.

I hope the information is helpful - please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks very much.
    Answered on March 26, 2015
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?
    Yes
    No
    Go!

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>