1. 12689 POINTS
    Ted RatliffPRO
    Owner, SFS Associates,
    Outpatient Surgery is covered under Medicare Part B.  Part A covers Hospital stays.  Part B covers outpatient costs such as outpatient surgery, doctor visits, outpatient lab and xrays.  Under Part B you are responsible for 20% of the Medicare approved amount.  Some states allow a doctor to charge up to 15% more than the Medicare approved amount that would also be your responsibility.
    Answered on April 30, 2013
  2. 15986 POINTS
    Bob VineyardPRO
    Founder, Georgia Medicare Plans, Atlanta,GA
    Medicare Part A is designed for inpatient hospital treatment only. Even though some outpatient surgery may be performed in a hospital setting, or hospital affiliated clinic, outpatient surgery is a covered item under Medicare Part B.

    Medicare part B has an annual deductible. In 2013 the Part B deductible is $147. After you have satisfied your deductible Medicare pays 80% of the approved amount and you are responsible for the remaining 20%. If you use a provider that does not accept assignment, excess charges may apply. 

    Some (but not all) Medicare supplement plans cover excess charges.
    Answered on May 2, 2013
  3. 15433 POINTS
    Jason GoldenzweigPRO
    Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Outpatient surgery would be covered under Medicare Part B. Part A covers inpatient hospital stays and procedures.

    Please note, Part A & Part B only cover 80% of the costs after the deductibles (Part A - $1,216 in 2014; Part B - $147 in 2014). You can purchase a Medigap plan to cover the deductibles and the other 20% of your medical care.

    Please feel free to contact me with any other questions. Thanks very much.
    Answered on May 21, 2014
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>