1. 1575 POINTS
    Christopher LawrencePRO
    Insurance Broker | Financial Consultant, Lawrence Insurance Consulting, Southern New Jersey
    Part A covers inpatient hospital stays, skilled nursing facility stays, home health visits (also covered under Part B), and hospice care, and accounted for 32% of benefit spending in 2012.  Part A benefits are subject to a deductible ($1,184 per benefit period in 2013) and coinsurance.
    Part B covers physician visits, outpatient services, preventive services, and home health visits, and accounted for 19% of benefit spending in 2012.  Part B benefits are subject to a deductible ($147 in 2013), and cost sharing generally applies for most Part B benefits.
    Part C refers to the Medicare Advantage program, through which beneficiaries can enroll in a private health plan, such as a health maintenance organization (HMO), and receive all Medicare-covered benefits.  Payments to Medicare Advantage plans to cover Part A and Part B benefits accounted for 23% of benefit spending in 2012.  More than 13 million beneficiaries were enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan in 2012 (27% of all beneficiaries).
    Part D is the voluntary, subsidized outpatient prescription drug benefit, with additional subsidies for beneficiaries with low incomes and modest assets.  The Part D benefit is offered through private plans that contract with Medicare, both stand-alone prescription drug plans (PDPs) and Medicare Advantage prescription drug plans (MA-PDs).  In 2012, Part D accounted for 10% of benefit spending.  About 32 million beneficiaries were enrolled in a Medicare Part D plan in 2012.
    Answered on October 10, 2013
  2. 15433 POINTS
    Jason GoldenzweigPRO
    Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Part B is your physician insurance - it covers doctor visits, tests, surgeries, preventive services, and supplies including DMEs (durable medical equipment).The Part B deductible is $147 in 2014. You're responsible for about 20% of healthcare expenses covered by Part B - Medicare only covers approximately 80% of the costs.

    Most people who have Part B will also have Part A (your hospital insurance) - Part A is premium-free for most people.

    You may want to consider buying a Medicare supplement plan (a.k.a. Medigap plan) to cover the other 20%.Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance. Thanks very much.
    Answered on May 13, 2014
  3. 2310 POINTS
    Steve AdlmanPRO
    Owner, Alabama Medicare Plans, Birmingham, Alabama
    Part B of Medicare covers doctor and outpatient visits for the diagnosis and treatment of your health conditions. These are Outpatient Services received at a doctor’s office, hospital, clinic, or other health facility. There is an annual deductible of $166 for Part B services and after the deductible has been met Medicare covers 80% of your Part B medical expenses and you are responsible for the other 20% unless you have a Medicare Supplement Plan. Most people who sign up for Medicare this year will pay monthly premium of $121.80 to the Federal Government for their Part B coverage.
    Answered on February 13, 2016
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>