1. 63254 POINTS
    Peggy MacePRO
    CEO and Senior Agent, Outlook Life, Inc, Most of the U.S.
    Medicare only pays for procedures that are necessary to preserve the health or life of the patient. Medicare does not pay for surgery, medication, procedures, or treatments that are solely for cosmetic purposes. Thus, Medicare does not pay for liposuction as it is used for cosmetic vs medical purposes.
    Answered on September 15, 2013
  2. 15433 POINTS
    Jason GoldenzweigPRO
    Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Medicare does not cover liposuction as it’s considered a cosmetic procedure, even if you have an underlying medical condition related to weight. Some bariatric surgeries may be covered depending on medical necessity, such as a gastric bypass or gastric banding.  If you’re unsure whether your specific circumstances for a procedure would be covered by Medicare, you can contact Medicare directly to find out if the procedure would be covered.

    When procedures are covered by Medicare, they typically only pay for about 80% of the covered healthcare expenses. A Medigap plan can cover all or a portion of the other 20%. If you do not have one in place already, I would suggest considering the purchase of one.

    I hope the information is helpful - please feel free to contact me for assistance with your program and if you have any further questions. Thanks very much.
    Answered on July 11, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>