1. 1805 POINTS
    Samuel Smith
    Enrolled Agent-licensed to practice before the IRS, Samuel N Smith, EA, South Carolina
    How can you add a car that is not in your name, a car that clearly you are not a designated driver, you have no financial interest, and that you seemingly would be assisting someone to violate the insurance laws of your State. If you understand the "liability" you are assuming, assuming the insurance company would be so careless, the next question the insurance company better be asking themselves if you have the integrity expected of a person they want to insure.
    Answered on November 29, 2013
  2. 730 POINTS
    Darald Novak AAI
    Retired Agent and Broker, Self Employed, Albany NY USA
    If the title (proof of ownership 'in your name') is not in your name and you desire to register and insure the vehicle, you will need documentation of an insurable interest: lease agreement, etc. that a carrier will accept to underwrite a policy. Make sure you include all insurable interests on your policy - lessor as additional named insured for liability and named as loss payee for physical damage.  If the vehickle is titled to another individual, many states allow you to obtain a signed authorization (a DMV form) in which the titled owner authorizes you to register and insure the vehicle.  Again, make sure you can list the titled owner as an additional insured for liability and as a loss payee (along with any lienholder currently on the vehicle). Make suire your state's DMV will allow you to do what you want to do as far as the registration goes and then find as carrier that will underwrite the situation.  A good agent or broker can assist you or you can act as your own broker and obtain insurance online. If you act as your own broker, good luck.
    Answered on June 13, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>