1. 12689 POINTS
    Ted RatliffPRO
    Owner, SFS Associates,
    Most auto dealers will not let you drive the car off of the lot unless you have proof of insurance if there is a loan on the car.  It is never a good idea to drive a car without insurance.  If you traded a car in, then the coverage on the older car may extend to the new car temporarily, but you need to call your agent as soon as possible and get it changed.  Most dealerships have an insurance agent they work with who can get you coverage as well.
    Answered on June 22, 2013
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Generally speaking, probably not.  Most States require you to have at least a mandatory minimum amount of Liability Insurance in order for a car to be registered.  Your Car Dealership will need to obtain proof of that coverage from your Isurance Professional in order to register the car for you, so without such proof, they can't really do anything to complete the deal.
    In addition, unless you are paying cash for the car, it will either be financed or leased and in both cases, there are requirements to have both Comprehensive and Collision coverage on the car and, in the case of a lease, the required amount of Liability coverage which is somewhat more than any State's minimum requirement.
    Answered on December 11, 2013
  3. 0 POINTS
    Josh DeBoer
    Producer, Fred Daniel & Sons, Inc., Tulsa, OK
    The answer you are looking for is no. You will not be able to take delivery of your newly purchased vehicle without proof of coverage for the vehicle. Proof of coverage is just one of the many documents that you will need to sign in order to complete the purchase of the vehicle to make it yours.

    Congratulations on your new vehicle!
    Answered on December 11, 2013
  4. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Probably not.  Most states (including here in CT) require proof of insurance as a condition of registering your car.  Dealerships will require that your insurance professional send them an Insurance Identification Card so that they can process the registration for you.  Likewise, if you are either leasing or securing a loan to purchase your car, the financial institution will also require you to have the proper insurance coverage in place in order to finalize the sale.
    Answered on December 31, 2013
  5. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCSPRO
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    If you have an existing auto insurance policy then you should be able to drive the new vehicle of the lot. You want to verify with your insurance provider your coverage's. If you do not have any insurance in place do not drive the car anywhere until you have secured an insurance policy. Besides the fact you are required to have insurance to operate any motor-vehicle it would sure be a bummer to wreck your new car and have no coverage.
    Answered on December 31, 2013
  6. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>