1. 250 POINTS
    Carl Busseau
    Roseville, CA
    You most certainly can get auto insurance without a car.  If you needed to borrow, test drive, rent, or lease a vehicle for whatever reason you would purchase what is called a “drive other car” policy.  It covers you for driving the car that you don’t own.  This coverage would pay claims first in the event of a claim.  The insurance that the owner of the car carries on the car would pay secondary. 
    Answered on March 7, 2014
  2. 627 POINTS
    Dan Lyles
    agent, Lyles Insurance, Wheelersburg, Ohio
    I'm not familiar with policies in California, and I've never heard of a "drive other car" policy. But in most states, the answer below would not be true.

    For non-vehicle owners in most states, the driver would need what is called a "named operator's" (aka non-owners) policy. Some states also have what is known as a "broad formed named driver policy". Either of these policies will cover a driver who doesn't own a vehicle. There is also another rare type of policy for non-owners called a financial responsibility bond (I believe Ohio is the only state that has financial responsibility bonds).

    But contrary to the answer above:
    1. the vehicle owner's auto insurance is the primary insurance, and the non-owners policy is secondary.
    2. these policies will not work for rental vehicles because these types of policies do not offer comprehensive and collision coverage, both of which a rental company is going to require. The only coverage these policies offer are liability, uninsured motorist and medical payments coverage.
    Answered on March 7, 2014
  3. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®PRO
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    If you rent or borrow a car that isn’t yours, a non-owned auto policy will protect you for amounts that you are legally liable if you have an accident.  This policy does not provide for damage to the vehicle you have rented or borrowed.  If the car you are renting or borrowing has insurance, that insurance will pay before your non-owned auto policy pays.  
    Answered on March 7, 2014
  4. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    It may be possible yes. Talk to your Insurance Professional about the availability of a "named non-owner" auto policy. This form provides coverage for what you may be legally liable to pay in the event that you cause an accident with a non-owned private passanger car. It will not provide any physical damage coverage (Comprehensive or Collision) for any damage done to the car you are driving, it is strictly for liability only coverage if you damage another car or stationary object or cause injury to another person or persons.
    Answered on August 4, 2015
  5. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>