My dad has an accident and his insurance company says he did not renew in December; but he needs cover to satisfy the terms of his financing, how do we get a new policy?

We know he will have to pay out of pocket for the accident. His policy would have renewed in December, but the carrier says he didn’t pay (he says he never got a bill) so it was not renewed. He did get new cards in December. What is the best route for obtaining new coverage and what kind of coverage will we need to get? At the accident scene he was only ticketed for an unsafe turn, as the state’s insurance database also seems to show he had coverage.

  1. 104 POINTS
    Josh Stanley
    Principal Agent, Palmetto Choice Insurance Agency, Spartanburg, SC
    It should be as simple as talking to an agent and starting a new policy - he will likely end up paying more for the coverage than he did previously, since he will now have an accident on his record, and depending on the state you're in, he may need a financial responsibility filing as well. I would recommend speaking with an Independent Insurance Agent in your area who can identify the best options available to him, given his circumstances.
    Answered on February 2, 2017
  2. 616 POINTS
    Robert J Russell - Finalist for Broker of the Year 2015
    Broker Owner,, United States (Most States)
    It is time to hire an attorney to see what your legal grounds are and to determine when exactly your coverage terminated. The first thing to do is to get something in writing from the insurance company to show the termination date of coverage. Then find out from your agent what his interpretation is (get this in writing too) and take all of this info to your attorney and I am sure that something can be worked out on your behalf.
    Answered on February 11, 2017
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>