1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    Personal items inside a car are not covered by an auto insurance policy.  Coverage for these personal items comes from a homeowner’s policy.  Usually ten percent of the personal property limit is the amount that can be recovered if property is away from the residence.  The loss of personal property is subject to the deductible on the homeowner’s policy.
    Answered on May 22, 2014
  2. 15645 POINTS
    Edward HarrisPRO
    Owner, Best Health And Car Insurance Rates - Instant Online Quotes, US
    Items stolen from a car are typically not covered. However, there are exceptions. If you purchased an available rider, you may have limited coverage on some items. Also, certain items considered "permanent" parts of the vehicle would be covered. An experienced broker will find the policy that best covers this risk.

    Live answer provided by:  Ed Harris - Car insurance broker for 33 years and owner of several top-rated websites for consumers.
    Answered on May 23, 2014
  3. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    No, if your car is broken into and personal items stolen from it, there is no coverage for those items.  Your car policy, so long as you have Comprehensive Physical Damage coverage, will take care of the damage caused to your car in the act of this crime.  You will need to file a police report of course.  Next turn to your Homeowners', Condo Unit Owners' or Renters' Insurance policy for coverage for your stolen belongings.
    Answered on May 23, 2014
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>