1. 16470 POINTS
    David OsgoodPRO
    Agent, Rural Mutual Insurance Co., Union Grove, WI
    If you are deemed liable for the death in the accident, your insurance may pay up to your liability limits only. In wisconsin if you are responsible for the death of an adult in an auto accident the state mandated amount is $350,000/each and for a child it is $500,000/each. In order to try to protect yourself properly, I recommend that everyone has an umbrella policy that helps provide extended coverage at a lower cost. To under this better call your local agent and discuss your concerns with them as each state has its own regulations and each company has its own set of coverages and exclutions.
    Answered on April 30, 2013
  2. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCSPRO
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    If you are held liable for an auto related death your auto insurance policy could  pay up to the limit of liability you carry depending on final judgement. In California there is no set amount other then what is determined by the court. You could be sued for 1 million dollars or more which is why I always recommend an umbrella policy. If the judgement is great then your current coverage the insurance company can max out and their obligation is met. Once the insurance companies obligation is met the courts can put a lien or judgement  against your assets to make up the difference. This could include home, cars, other properties and even your retirement.
    Answered on April 30, 2013
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>