1. 60 POINTS
    Julie Verville
    If your car is the unfortunate victim of vandalism, will your current car insurance policy cover the claim? The answer to this question depends on the type of auto insurance coverage you currently carry. If you only carry the minimum liability limits, the answer is no. However, if you carry comprehensive coverage, the answer is yes less any applicable annual deductible you have selected for your policy.

    Vandalism to your vehicle could include a variety of incidents; key scratches, broken glass and other damage caused with malicious intent. Vandalism is different than burglary. If something was removed from your vehicle as a result of the vandalism, you must be sure to state this in your report. In most cases, comprehensive coverage will cover both theft and vandalism.

    The amount of coverage your policy offers depends not only on the overall type of policy you have selected, but the coverage limits, the type of claim, and your chosen annual deductible. In the case of high deductible policies, it may be more beneficial to pay for the repairs out of pocket than to run it through your insurance company.

    Before any claim will be paid, you must file a report with your local police department describing the nature of the vandalism.
    Answered on February 20, 2013
  2. 385 POINTS
    Soarella - Mary Gruenberg
    President, Soarella, Inc.,
    It can. Vandalism is covered under comprehensive which is one of two types of coverage that can be included under physical damage on your auto policy. The other coverage that protects your actual vehicle is collision.

    Comprehensive and collision are required when you have a loan but are optional when you don't. These two coverages provide protection for the car itself if it gets damaged and typically requires that you pay a deductible first before the insurance company responds.

    Typically, collision covers anything you collide or have an upset with while comprehensive covers everything else including fire, theft, and vandalism.
    Answered on February 25, 2015
  3. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®PRO
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    Vandalism is covered by the comprehensive portion of your automobile policy. This coverage is not required by state law. Check your own policy to see if you have purchased this coverage. The claim under the comprehensive portion of the policy is subject to a deductible but the insurance company will attempt to return the automobile to the state it was in prior to the incident. Because certain groups of people are more subject to vandalism than others, for example, teachers, peace officers and politicians some companies alter their adjusting procedures to either eliminate or reduce the deductible on those specific professions. Check with your insurance agent to see if you qualify for such a reduction.
    Answered on April 27, 2015
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>