1. 2777 POINTS
    Terry A. McCarthy, CLU, ChFC
    President, Insurance Associates Agency Inc., West Chester, OH
    Generally speaking, the answer is NO. You can still meet the financial responsibility that insurance is designed to provide by being a listed driver in a household. If you are in a domestic relationship and not married, you should probably have two names listed as first named insurers on the dec page of the policy. Laws are variable on your protection status. If you have an insurable interest due to owning a vehicle in the households, you may need to be listed to satisfy a lender. If you are not a named insured and not a legally recognized domestic partner, you may not have protection for every aspect of coverage so in the end it makes sense to be listed on the declaration page. This is less important for children of the insured living in the household due the defition of "insured" in the policy's. All of the latter should be confirmed by a licensed agent in your state of residences.
    Answered on February 1, 2015
  2. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    In California the automobile is the object insured, not the driver. The automobile must be associated with a household and the drivers in that household are considered and listed on the policy. The automobile is insured as long as it is being operated by a licensed driver who has permission of the owner to operate the vehicle.
    Answered on February 10, 2015
  3. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Most if not all states require that you show proof of insurance in order to register a car and maintain that registration in good order. Here in Connecticut, as a result, if a car is titled to you, then it needs to be registered to you and the insurance policy must name you as a principal insured on the policy. The insurance company will also want to have named any other drivers residing in your household as they have access to the car. Some companies will require that any other drivers in teh household be formally excluded from coverage if they are not to be named as drivers on your policy.
    Answered on November 10, 2015
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>