1. 16470 POINTS
    David Osgood
    Agent, Rural Mutual Insurance Co., Union Grove, WI
    If they are able to legally have a license in your state then yes they should also be listed on your policy to ensure that you are properly covered. Talk to your local agent about the requirements in your state and what coverages are offered. Don't leave you family exposed to a libility.
    Answered on May 8, 2013
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Here in CT, one must be at least 16 years of age in order to obtain a drivers license. A 15 year old has the opportunity to obtain a learners' permit within the regulations of the Department of Motor Vehicles, but does not have to be listed as a driver on the parent's policy. Other states may be different. Once a young driver receives his or her license, then they need to be listed on their parent's auto policy as a regular driver in their home with access to their vehicles. If the 16 year old purchases a car of their own and wishes to register in in their own name, then they will need to obtain their own separate auto policy in order to accomplish that. Talk to your Insurance Professional about the laws in your state and the best options available for both you and your young driver.
    Answered on July 27, 2015
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>