1. 75 POINTS
    Carl Houde
    Insurance Agent, Davila & DeFusco Insurance, Saugus, MA
    Generally state laws require establishing residency within a certain amount of time within the state. Once residency is established, registration and insurance would need to be changed as soon as possible.

    Requirements vary from state to state, but you can find a summary on this website


    The requirements for Alaska, for instance, is 90 days. Massachusetts, however, is only 30 days. Check the resource for information about your particular state.
    Answered on October 5, 2015
  2. 104 POINTS
    Josh Stanley
    Principal Agent, Palmetto Choice Insurance Agency, Spartanburg, SC
    Not only will state requirements be something to consider, but keep in mind you'll need to be in compliance with your insurance company's guidelines as well. Some companies require changes to your policy, including address change, must be reported within 7 days, while others give longer. Some companies will even let you ride to the end of your term before requiring your policy to be rewritten to the new state. Though you may not want to wait that long, as your old policy may not meet state minimums or include required coverages in your new state of residency - some companies will adjust your coverages to state requirements, and others don't. It's best to handle this change as soon as practical.
    Answered on October 6, 2015
  3. 20 POINTS
    Crystal Naldi
    Insurance Broker, Sameday Insurance,
    If you stay in another state for more than 60 days you're going to have to get insurance from that state, that is usually the minumum amount of time for you, even if you don't plan on being there for even six months, or a year. That's in most states.
    Answered on October 26, 2015
  4. 196 POINTS
    John Cornwell
    Most states require 30 days after you have established a residence......but I have seen some people "reside" with a friend just across the border for years and never change it. Flags come up when taxes and insurance are not paid, or inspection stickers go out on tags. It's according to what the state you're in says. Check twice before you jump they always say.
    Answered on November 6, 2015
  5. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCS
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    The most common time to get new insurance is 30 days. There may be some flexibility however before you can register your auto in the new state you will need to establish your new insurance policy. Also going to long could get you fine should you happen to encounter an officer who is not in a generous mood.
    Answered on January 26, 2016
  6. 1185 POINTS
    Scott W Johnson
    Manager, Marindependent Insurance Services LLC, California
    Thanks for the question.

    Contact the state motor vehicle department to inquire. However from an insurers standpoint, I would suggest that you contact either your agent or the insurance company immediately.

    Waiting to complete the task only to find a new insurance claim gets denied would be awful. Besides what would the benefit to waiting?
    Answered on October 3, 2016
  7. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>