1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    The general answer is soon. You really need to get a new insurance policy as soon as you move to a new state, particularly if that state is going to be your “domicile” and you have employment there. If you are visiting a state without any intention to work there, the insurance from your domiciled state will be active and will in fact change a bit to conform with the minimum limits required by the new state. If you are going to work and live in the state your current insurance carrier will most likely transfer your policy and issue a conforming policy based upon state law with little or no hassle. You will usually be assigned to an agency that is close to where you are going to live. This is really a painless process unless the insurance company currently insuring your car isn’t “admitted “to do business in the state where you are moving.
    Answered on April 27, 2015
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    In most cases, your car insurance will cover you throughout all 50 states. The real issue is once you move, how soon do you need to register your cars. That may vary by state regulations, but I can tell you that here in Connecticut, once one establishes residency, one has to register their cars within 30 days. In order to register a car here, like in most if not all other states, you are required to show proof of auto insurance issued on a Connecticut policy form. If you have Nationwide car insurance issued in Virginia, that will not be acceptable proof for the CT DMV so you would have to have your insurance transferred and written here before heading over to DMV.
    Answered on April 28, 2015
  3. 552 POINTS
    Ruth Ladas
    CEO, RLI - Ruth Ladas Insurance, LLC, Fort Myers, Florida
    I can address this question specifically for Florida. The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles requires that you register your car within 10 days. That's pretty fast and a lot of people find becoming a Florida resident to be a bit stressful. It is important to know that in order to register your car you have to have Florida insurance. Handle the insurance first and take that proof of coverage with you to register.

    If your insurance carrier writes auto in Florida, changing the policy can be as easy as a cancel/re-write. If you're changing carriers, be prepared to answer all the necessary questions for your household...Driver's License, Date of Birth, SSN and the vehicle information...VIN number. Your use of vehicle is also important. Many new Floridians are new retirees as well. Be sure to have the policy rated correctly...as a retired person vs someone who commutes to a job. Depending on the county in Florida, a visit in person with the agent may be necessary to verify no prior damage to the vehicle.

    Related to this is the need to change your Driver's License. Depending on what state you are moving from some additional documentation to prove your identity may be required. Be sure to check this out before making the trip to the DMV.
    Answered on May 2, 2015
  4. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! Here in Texas, it is 30 days, but each State will have its own regulations as to the time period they will allow to pass before ticketing you for not being properly registered. I had to have a policy that was issued in Texas before being able to register my car and get plates, you may need to switch your policy first also. I'd recommend going on line to your new State's Department of Motor Vehicles or Secretary of State webpage and see what your State requires. Good luck with your move, and thank you for asking!
    Answered on May 6, 2015
  5. 97 POINTS
    herb nease
    agent owner, shelter insurance,
    Here in Kansas you need to register your auto within 90 days. If you dont take care of this within the 90 day period you could get a ticket.
    Answered on May 15, 2015
  6. 447 POINTS
    Thad Bynum
    Owner/ Partner, Bynum Insurance Agency, Inc, Clayton, GA
    If you have 50 agents in 50 states answer that is how many different answers you will receive.
    Call the Department of motor vehicles in the state you are moving to and ask.
    Answered on May 30, 2015
  7. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>