If I am in a single vehicle accident that caused no public property damage but likely totaled the vehicle do I need a police report to have my claim approved? A tree was hit and I am telling the insurance company I am 100 percent at fault.

  1. 552 POINTS
    Ruth Ladas
    CEO, RLI - Ruth Ladas Insurance, LLC, Fort Myers, Florida
    Thank you for the question. I police report is not always needed for an auto claim. It really depends on the individual fact pattern of the event. At the very least, photos should be taken at the scene and a call in immediately to the carrier would be advised. I hope that this helps!
    Answered on April 20, 2016
  2. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! It sounds from your description of the events that there was just you, a tree, and the car involved, and that you are taking responsibility for the accident. Since there is no one else involved, and no property damage claims involved, a police report isn't needed, unless it is a requirement in your State/town (Your insurer will know). In most case, the police report is used to verify facts when settling the claims, but since it is just you and your insurer, there's not much point. I would take pictures to document the scene, road conditions, and the car's damage just in case, but it sounds pretty cut and dried, accident/claim/settlement. I'm glad that you are okay, and able to ask your question. God was certainly watching over you. Thank you for asking, and I pray everything works out well for you.
    Answered on April 20, 2016
  3. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Not necessarily. It is a good idea to talk to your Insurance Professional about the specific terms and conditions of your policy and about local or state regulations. However, your Insurance Company may choose to open the liability portion of the claim in the event that anything is reported later on. If serious damage was done to the tree, it is possible that it's future health may be at risk if only in a minor way. Now, where we live in CT , we have a very large hickory tree in our front yard along the town road. The tree is actually not ours as it is growing within the town's "easment", therefore on town property and owned by the town. So just keep in mind that unless the tree is sitting on land that is not owned by anyone, individual, organization or municipality, though a police accident report may not be necessary, liability may still exist.
    Answered on May 26, 2016
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>