1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    In California the auto insurance policy covers the car. While the premium is based on the driving records of the members or a particular household, any driver with a valid driver’s license can operate the car and the insurance will be in force. Any claim that arises is charged to that specific car which can present difficulties when it is time to renew coverage.
    Answered on February 3, 2015
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    That may depend upon the insuring company or the state. It is always best to talk with your Insurance Professional about the specific terms and conditions of your auto policy. Here in Connecticut, for the most part standard issue car insurance policies will provide coverage for the named insured and that person's resident family. It will also extend coverage to anyone designated to use the car by an insured so long as the use of the car is covered.
    Answered on February 4, 2015
  3. 2777 POINTS
    Terry A. McCarthy, CLU, ChFC
    President, Insurance Associates Agency Inc., West Chester, OH
    When a licensed driver operates the insured car you own you are insuring the damage or injuries they cause in most places in this country. Insurance follows the car in Ohio. The driver has the financial responsibility for the injuries or damage in Ohio too if the car is not insured. The unfortunate answer is that permissive use by non-rated drivers is something insurance companies hate paying for and would love to avoid. It is something to ponder before loaning out your car because if it happens to you you won't be happy having the loss tagged to your record. I suggest you check with an agent in your state of domicile for the most accurate answer.
    Answered on February 9, 2015
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>