We have a new 16 year old driver. Friends are telling us in MN if the cars he is driving are fully insured he doesn’t have to be insured (meaning we don’t have to tell our agent or increase our rates). This seems crazy to me.

  1. 54 POINTS
    Daniel Wheeler
    Risk Manager, Kovalev Insurance Agency, Massachusetts
    In most states, the company requires that you notify them of any changes that would affect the insurance contract, including newly licensed drivers, changes in household members, a change of vehicle, etc. The company may extend coverage for your teenager in the event of an accident, but according to the policy they are under no obligation to do so. This will likely also result in a cancellation of the policy for material misrepresentation. Your best bet is to contact your agent and discuss what options you have in order to be sure you are properly covered.
    Answered on June 9, 2017
  2. 730 POINTS
    Darald Novak AAI
    Retired Agent and Broker, Self Employed, Albany NY USA
    A read of your insurance contract is mandatory in this instance. The insuring agreement is critical as it sets forth who is considered an insured. Is your new driver licensed or does he have a permit? Is he a member of the household or not? Does he have regular use of a vehicle? There are many questions which must be answered to determine if this operator is covered while driving one of your autos. A competent and knowledgeable agent or broker will be able to examine your insurance policy and provide the answers.
    Answered on June 9, 2017
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>