1. 16470 POINTS
    David OsgoodPRO
    Agent, Rural Mutual Insurance Co., Union Grove, WI
    Collision coverage will typically provide for the repair of your vehcicle less your deductible when you are involved in an auto accident whether or not you are deemed at fault. Please remember all policies and companies are different. Read your policy completely to know what is covered and what is excluded or call your local agent to have them explain the coverage and exclusions within the policy.
    Answered on April 29, 2013
  2. 110 POINTS
    James Hansen
    President, Scottsdale Home Insurance, Arizona
    Collision is the coverage on your auto insurance policy that provides coverage for damage to your car if you or another vehicle is hit by an object. Such as a wall, fire hydrant, garage, another car.... You probably get the picture.

    This coverage is not required by law but if you have a loan on your car your creditor will make you purchase Collision coverage on your auto insurance policy.

    You choose a deductible ($500 or $1000 are common) which is what you pay out-of-pocket for a claim before your Collision coverage will kick in.
    Answered on April 29, 2013
  3. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCSPRO
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    Collision is coverage for the insured’s auto regardless of fault. If you have purchased collision coverage and your vehicle is involved in a collision this coverage will repair the damage up to the value of the vehicle minus the collision deductible. A collision is when you hit an object whether moving or stationary or an object hits you. An object hitting you would be moving but this would exclude an animal which would fall under comprehensive coverage. If you are at fault naturally you would pay your deductible for the repairs of your vehicle. If the other party is at fault you have the option of using your own insurance and paying your deductible or going through the other carrier should the other carrier admit liability. If the other carrier steps up quickly then you would not have to pay your deductible. It's nice when the other party admits fault but is some cases this is not the case and you would have to pay your deductible and let you insurance company then subrogate to get your deductible back at a later date.
    Answered on April 29, 2013
  4. 180 POINTS
    Neil H. Greco
    Agency Principal, Neil H. Greco LLC, New Jersey
    Collision generally covers you when you strike another vehicle or fixed-object with your vehicle. In the event of a collision claim, you pay your collision deductible and then all of the damage related to the accident is taken care of. Keep in mind that different states may have varying definitions of what collision is. If you want a more definite answer for your location, I recommend contacting your local insurance professional or reaching out to your carrier. Thanks for asking!
    Answered on August 11, 2014
  5. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    There are two forms of physical damage coverage that may be included in your auto policy that protects against damage to your car. Collision is the more narrowly defined of the two, covering your car for damage that results from impact with another car, a stationary object or a human being. Comprehensive covers most everything else including damage from theft, fire, falling objects, impact with an animal etc.
    Answered on August 11, 2014
  6. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®PRO
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    Collision is a physical damage coverage.  That means that the company will pay for a loss sustained by your vehicle as a result of a collision with another object or vehicle and includes upset.  Most other physical damage losses are paid under the provisions for comprehensive coverage.  Both of these coverages normally have a deductible which causes you to be pay for part of the loss.  The basis for settlement is actual cash value in mot cases.
    Answered on August 11, 2014
  7. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>