My wife and I are covered together under the same auto policy and each have a listed vehicle. Wife totaled her car and now insurance issued payment of check with both of our names on it. Is this mandatory that check be issued in both names and what happens if husband refuses to sign the check unless I get half the money from it. Also when I, being the husband has been the one that has paid each and every premium on the policy for both of the cars.

  1. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is an interesting question! The easy answer, and I think you know it already, is that your bank will most likely require both signatures endorsing the check before they will process it. You can see if they will do a "for deposit only" endorsement, or you may need to have the insurance company reissue the check in halves, (if they'll do that, and I'd expect some fees to be involved, if they do).
    It is my prayer that your wife was unharmed and that no one else was injured, that the only loss you will suffer is the loss of the vehicle, and that the negative feelings that you are experiencing at the moment are long gone and resolved by the time you read this reply. Good luck, and thank you for asking!
    Answered on October 20, 2015
  2. 13 POINTS
    Dawn Jett
    Vista View Insurance Group, Arizona
    Most checks I've seen have been made payable to husband and/OR wife. If this is not the case, then I agree with Jim that you can ask that the check be split. If this is what seems an impending divorce action, you may ask that the check be issued to a third neutral party until all issues are resolved.

    I wish you all the best.
    Answered on November 6, 2015
  3. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCS
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    Does the check say and between the two names or does it say or between the two names. If it's and both must endorse. If it's or either can endorse. In most cases I see and but this is usually when it is between the person who receives the check and the body shop.
    Answered on January 7, 2016
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>