1. 5527 POINTS
    Marlin McKelvy
    President, Consumer Directed Benefit Solutions, Memphis, Tennessee
    A Life & Health Insurance license is required to sell disability insurance. Be advised that just because someone has a Life & Health insurance license does not necessarily mean they are an expert in that area. Disability insurance policies have many variations and are used to address a variety of financial risk needs. Depending upon what your needs are you will want to shop around and possibly interview some different agents before deciding who to purchase your coverage through. An independent agent that is not tied to one particular insurance company's products may be best able to explore the wide variety of options available in the disability insurance marketplace. You might ask your CPA or financial advisor for professionals they might refer you to in this regard.
    Answered on March 23, 2015
  2. 63333 POINTS
    Peggy Mace
    Most of the U.S.
    While some states may require both Life and Health licenses, Disability Insurance falls under the Health Insurance category. When getting contracted, a few states have a separate Disability Insurance category, but they put (Health) after it. At least in some states, you can sell Disability Insurance with just a Health license, as it is a morbidity product.
    Answered on March 23, 2015
  3. 11498 POINTS
    Jason Goldenzweig
    Co-Founder, TermInsuranceBrokers.com, Goldenzweig Financial Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
    To sell disability insurance, you will need to have a health insurance agent license. Some states may also ask for you to have a life license as well so I would recommend checking with your brokerage you have your contracts through or contact the carrier directly to speak with someone in the agent services department to get an answer for a specific carrier and/or state.

    Please note, many states charge the same fees whether you're getting a health license only or both life and health. I would recommend getting your life license as well even if you don't primarily sell life insurance because you never know if there is an opportunity for a life insurance sale on top of the health insurance sale. Just my two cents on the question.

    I hope the information is helpful - please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. Thanks very much.
    Answered on March 24, 2015
  4. 10968 POINTS
    Tim Wilhoit
    Owner, Your Friend 4 Life, Brentwood TN
    It is true that some states do not separate their life insurance license from their health insurance license, the majority of states do have these two license separate. To sell disability insurance requires a health insurance license. There is at least one state that considers disability a separate license but does so under the health insurance license so no further examinations are required. You may also take disability specific continuing education course credits to learn more and they will count in most states towards your CE points for both life and health license requirements.
    Answered on March 31, 2015
  5. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>