1. 723 POINTS
    Everett Debrow, Jr.
    Principal Agent, Patriarch Associates,LLC, Opelika, Alabama
    Thanks for the opportunity to answer your question!

The final answer to your question would be best answered by a health professional. The frequency recommended for screening seems to be related to some social issues, personal/family history, age, and, in some cases, personal reproductive issues. The recommended time for first mammograms varies from group to group, as does the frequency at which the mammograms should occur. Generally (what I gathered from research), three factors seem to be used as determining factors:
    1. Personal or family history
    2. Age (Persons over 40 have higher risk according to stats)
    3. Women who have not given birth by age 30.
    I also discovered that men are at risk to have breast cancer as well. For both men and women, the frequency of screening can vary based on a health professional's interpretation of the info provided.
    The only reason I am willing to field this question is due to an immediate family member's struggle with breast cancer in the early seventies. Lack of early detection would have been fatal to her. She was in her mid-30's. She had to have a full mastectomy for a mass that today could possibly be treated on an outpatient basis. We are blessed, for she is still with us 40-plus years later.
    Speaking professionally as an agent, a lot of expenses covered today by insurance related to cancer were not covered by insurance in those days, so it was a strain financially. Lack of knowledge about the disease made insurers take pause. Advocate groups, up-to-date information, and government action have changed insurer attitudes towards cancer. Thankfully, mammograms were among some of the healthcare practices transitioning to being covered by mandate.
    I HOPE I have helped you in some way, form or fashion. Again, thanks so much for allowing me to address the issue. Praying for your good health!
    Answered on October 27, 2017
  2. 196 POINTS
    Michael Richardson
    Owner /Agent, Guardian Senior Protection, Dallas Fort Worth Texas
    Women ages 40 to 44 should have a choice to start yearly screening mammograms if they would like. Women ages 45 to 54 should have a mammogram each year and those 55 years and over should continue getting mammograms every 1 to 2 years. Women between the ages of 50 and 74 every 2 years .
    Answered on March 24, 2019
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?
    Yes
    No
    Go!

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>