1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    A homeowner’s policy is a “package.” As such it reduces costs by combining coverages that are normally required in such a way as to satisfy the majority of customers. The dwelling extension is included in most homeowner’s policies because so many people have detached garages, sheds and similar structures. It is possible to cobble together a unique policy for you that does not include that coverage; however, the cost will probably be higher.
    Answered on February 2, 2015
  2. 2777 POINTS
    Terry A. McCarthy, CLU, ChFC
    President, Insurance Associates Agency Inc., West Chester, OH
    Extensions of coverage are extended from limits built into the package of homeowner coverages. If you are referring to coverage "B" - other structures, this coverage is built in based on an antiquated coverage model where there was often a separate structure. Today, a separate structure may include utility sheds, decks, light poles and fences since garages are often attached. If you have none of these ask your carrier or agent if they can add this coverage to coverage "A" - Dwelling. I know of at least one carrier who has done this. Others may allow you to use the limit to protect against under-insurance after a loss.
    Answered on February 9, 2015
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>