A friend is going to cut my lawn once a week for 5 months. Do I need insurance other than my house and contents insurance?

  1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    In most California Home Owner’s policies there is workers compensation coverage for casual employees. If you and your friend have a contract, then your friend would be responsible for any work related injury suffered while cutting your grass. You can submit a claim for any injury sustained on your property. The amount covered will be limited by the policy. There are at least two other sources of coverage in the homeowner’s policy, the medical payments section and the legal liability section. The company will adjust the claim using these provisions.
    Answered on May 18, 2015
  2. 5877 POINTS
    Stan Cox II
    Insurance Adviser - Broker, SC Insurance Services, Oahu, Hawaii
    Is your friend in business as a "yard man" or landscape maintenance? If so your friend needs to have liability insurance to cover any damage they may do to you or your property and their own health insurance to cover any injuries to them self. If it's just a friend doing a favor for you you should check your homeowners insurance to see how much and what is covered in case of an accident. Or if you have an umbrella or property & casualty policy check to see what it will cover. In other words check what you already have before deciding if you need more.
    Answered on May 25, 2015
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>