1. 992 POINTS
    Phil Tuccy
    Owner, Insurance Group Consulting, LLC, Florida
    Damages caused by the peril of earthquake under a homeowner policy are generally excluded from coverage.
    However coverage can be obtained in most States by purchasing either an endorsement to the homeowner policy for earthquake coverage or  by acquiring a separate policy, specifically covering the peril of earthquake.   
    Since some States and even regions within States are considerably more vulnerable to earthquakes, obviously the rates for this type of coverage varies widely.   It can be expensive but your home is probably your most valuable personal investment.  
    Consult with your local independent agencies for additional details to fit your particular situation and locality..   

    Answered on July 26, 2014
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Talk to your Insurance Professional about the specific terms and conditions of your policy, but in general, there are two common exclusions in a Homeowners' policy.  Damage caused by earth movement and damage caused by flood are these two common exclusions.  In many cases, you can choose to have coverage for earth movement endorsed onto your policy, but flood insurance is always available only by purchasing a separate policy.
    Answered on July 29, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>