1. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    Great question! You have asked about something that has been the heartbreak of many a renter.  The answer is no, it does not. What the landlord's insurance will cover is what belongs to the landlord, not you. So if the home were to catch on fire, the landlords insurance would pay for the home. Your things that were inside the home do not belong to him, therefore the company would not pay you for them. Please look into a renters policy to protect your belongings. If you need help, please contact me, I'm glad to help. Thanks for asking!
    Answered on April 18, 2014
  2. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    There is a chance that we have misunderstood the question.  If a home that you lived in previously was covered by a homeowner’s policy and you have moved out of that home and are currently planning to lease it to someone else then the homeowner’s policy should be cancelled and a fire policy written.  The fire policy covers only the residence and has only limited coverage for contents.  As was mentioned the personal property of the tenant should be covered by a renters policy.
    Answered on April 25, 2014
  3. 215 POINTS
    Stu Cohen
    Founder, City Building Owners Insurance, Somers, NY
    If the home in question is a rental property, then you need landlord insurance, which covers the specific risks associated with rental properties. In addition to fire coverage, landlord insurance can include such protections as Loss of Rents, which protects you against loss of rental income if something happens to the building. These types of policies also often include higher liability limits.

    For properties with 1-4 units, the question is whether the property is owner-occupied (homeowners policy) or non-owner occupied (landlord policy). Properties with more than 5 units require a commercial building policy, regardless of whether they are occupied by the owner.
    Answered on July 25, 2016
  4. 1185 POINTS
    Scott W Johnson
    Manager, Marindependent Insurance Services LLC, California
    Generally speaking Homeowners Insurance covers a home that you the owner live in.

    Landlord Insurance would cover a structure that is rented out. The Landlord would own the landlord insurance while simultaneously the renter would own renters insurance.

    Typically everyone needs either a homeowners insurance policy or a renters insurance policy.

    The way the question is asked is a bit confusing. Renters Insurance is sometimes considered a form of homeowners insurance.
    Answered on October 4, 2016
  5. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>