We purchased our home from the bank 5 years ago (it was a foreclosure. The house is now 10 years old). This. Winter, We noticed water damage in one bed room and found 2 twelve inch cracks on the side of the house. Also, the door to a patio above that bedroom has a door that is very hard to open and close. We had a reliable contractor look at it and he said the house settled and it has caused a lot of damage. He thinks the damage may be due to the foundation not being laid correctly. We are uncertain how to proceed. Should we file a claim with our insurance company? Go to the contractor? The bank? Thanks

  1. 7647 POINTS
    Mark Bartlett CLCS
    Branch Owner, TWFG Insurance Services, Fremont California and the Greater Bay Area Representing Dozens of Insurance Carriers
    Homeowners Insurance generally excludes settling of a home. Your standard HO 3 policy will read an Exclusion for: Settling, shrinking, bulging or expansion, including resultant cracking, of bulkheads, pavements, patios, footings, foundations, walls, floors, roofs or ceilings. However in any potential claim situation I recommend you consult your insurance provider.
    Answered on April 9, 2015
  2. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>