1. 16470 POINTS
    David Osgood
    Agent, Rural Mutual Insurance Co., Union Grove, WI
    That is a decision that only you can make. I would personally say, file a homeowners claim when you feel that the amount of damage done to the home by a covered incident is more than you can comfortably bare and the claim amount would be beyond the amount of your policy deductible.
    Answered on November 7, 2013
  2. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    Let me differentiate between a liability claim and a property claim. If you are sued, notify the claims office of the insurance company immediately. Do not sign any papers and do not make any statements to agents of the individual or company suing you. Never hesitate to submit a liability claim.

    If your home is uninhabitable because of a covered loss such as fire or lightning call the insurance company claims office immediately. If you are the victim of a disaster, call the claims office immediately. Many insurance companies have mobile claims operations that are dispatched to help victims of disasters.

    Any damage to your home is a “big deal.” However, if the damage is not more than two times your deductible, and it pays to know your deductible, call your agent first. Property insurance policies have varying features that can either reduce the deductible or reduce the premium if your policy is claims free. Sometimes a little pencil work will show that it is better to forgo the claim as the reductions you receive for being claims free could be greater than the amount you would recover.

    If there is water damage and you cannot reach your agent quickly enough contact the claims office because water damage only gets worse! Often a quick responding water mitigation team can reduce and almost eliminate the loss.
    Answered on March 4, 2015
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>