I am a US citizen residing in the Czech Rep., but still having a US address – my daughter’s. I have a dual citizenship. I pay insurance locally and never filed for/requested Medicare, which is useless here anyway. Short of flying to the US, is there a way to cancel it on-line? I have already spent a good deal of money trying to get a live person on the phone on the main numbers for SSA and for Medicare. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

  1. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! I am assuming that you have moved to your overseas home relatively recently, and had spent time up until then living and working in the U.S.? I also assume that when you enrolled in Medicare that you opted for a plan that charges you monthly? (Because if you aren't being billed, I think I would just let it be, honestly) And if you are receiving SSI payments, are they worth keeping?
    If you are paying for Medicare and not using it, I can certainly understand why you would want to cancel it.
    Anyway, as frustrating as it can be, it seems as if your only recourse is to do one of two things - give legal authority to someone here in the U.S. to handle your legal affairs and cancel it for you; or continue to spend the money on the 1-800-633-4227 (1-800 Medicare) phone system. I feel your pain, even the website is frustratingly slow and difficult to manuever. I hope that you can get it sorted out. Thank you for asking!
    Answered on June 13, 2015
  2. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>