1. 15786 POINTS
    Bob VineyardPRO
    Founder, Georgia Medicare Plans, Atlanta,GA
    Medicare Part B excess charges happen when you use a medical provider that does not accept Medicare assignment. Almost all providers will accept assignment because they want to get paid quickly and paid by Medicare.

    If you use a provider that does not accept assignment they are allowed to bill an amount over and above the Medicare allowance. That allowance is capped by Medicare.

    Some Medicare supplement plans will cover those excess charges.
    Answered on May 1, 2013
  2. 1305 POINTS
    Neil Steinman
    Owner, Orange County Health & Life Insurance,
    Medicare excess charges are the difference between what your provider charges and what Medicare pays. This could occur if you go to a doctor that does not accept the Medicare assigned reimbursement amount.  Example: You go to a doctor who performs a test for which Medicare pays $200 but the Dr charges $300. The excess charge would be $100.  However,  you can purchase a Medicare Supplement plan which will pay the excess charges.
    Answered on May 27, 2014
  3. 42 POINTS
    Joann Quinn
    Independent Agent & Medicare Supplement Specialist, reMEDIGAP, USA
    The Part B Excess Charge is the amount above what Medicare approves for a procedure or office visit. Providers can bill you for “excess charges” if they do not accept Medicare Assignment.

    Because the doctor does not accept Medicare Assignment, he or she is able to charge an additional amount…this is the Part B Excess Charge.

    The doctor, however, is limited to charging 15% over the Medicare approved amount.

    To avoid excess charges it is important to understand Medicare Assignment. This term refers to providers who WILL accept full payment by Medicare. If a doctor does not accept Medicare Assignment, he or she IS allowed to bill you for Part B Excess Charges.

    To find out if your doctor accepts Medicare Assignment you can always call their office or visit Medicare.gov and locate the physician information.

    If you don't like the idea of paying Part B excess charges, you can consider purchasing a Medicare Supplement plan to cover that expense. In 2014, there are two plans (F,G) that have that benefit.

    Thank you for reading my reply. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Answered on July 25, 2014
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>