1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    If someone is paying you to live in one or more rooms of the home that you occupy and insure, most homeowner’s policies exclude coverage on their personal property.  The person renting from you certainly hasn’t a legal ground for coverage.  The renter can purchase an individual renter’s policy to provide coverage for their own personal property.
    Answered on July 9, 2014
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    A Homeowners" Insurance policy form specifically provides coverage provided that the property is the primary residence of the named insured and property owner.  Thus, if you decide to live elsewhere and rent your property, your Homeowners policy might not provide any coverage for you should anything occur.  It would not under any circumstances provide coverage for your tenants.
    Best to discuss this with your Insurance Professional.
    Answered on July 29, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>