1. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! Your current renters policy should allow you some amount of grace period to allow for safe relocation. You want to contact them and find out how long exactly that period is, and what they'll cover during that period. You may be able to keep your coverage with them in your new apartment, but expect to pay a different premium (who knows, maybe it will even be less!) if you do so. By all means make sure that you tell them that you've moved, since they will certainly deny any claim you'd file from a differing address than the one on your policy. Honesty is always the best policy in every case. Good luck with your move, and thanks for asking!
    Answered on May 16, 2015
  2. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    Most renters’ policies extend coverage to a new location. It is unlikely that the value of your property will change much during the move so the current values should be accurate. Notify the company that you have a new address. That will trigger the changes that are necessary. You should be sure that you receive an amended declaration showing the new address as this is very important for liability claims.
    Answered on May 18, 2015
  3. 97 POINTS
    herb nease
    agent owner, shelter insurance,
    In kansas and Missouri most of the insurance companies give you 30 days of coverage when youm move to a new location.Call your insurance agent as soon as possible to make them aware of the change of address, the premiums could be less at your new location especially if you move from an aparmtent complex to a single family dwelling or a duplex or four plex.
    Answered on June 3, 2015
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>