steve whiteaker
    Agent, farmers insurance,
    Short answer, yes, depending on where you are living, if you are in the dorms, usually dormatries offer some type of Insurance, but if you are renting a room or house thn you most definitly want to cover your personal property just in case. Depending where you go your parents home owners insurance can cover your belongings but be sure to call your agent to make sure, it is never a bad idea to be covered just in case.
    Answered on January 26, 2015
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    That depends upon two things really. First, the type of housing you are in and second the terms and conditoins of your parents' Homeowners Insurance policy. Let's talk about the second one first. If your Insurance Professional advises you that your parents' Homeowners' policy provides extended coverage that is adiquate to cover your personal belongings in an on campus dorm, then in that case, it is not critical that you obtain a separate renters insurance policy. If the Homeowners policy does not provide this extension or, more commonly, if you are housed in off campus rental unit or house, then obtaining a renters insurance policy would not only be smart, it may also be required by the buildng owner or management company from whom you are renting.
    Answered on March 27, 2015
  3. 68 POINTS
    Jeannie Peter
    Insurance Agent, Allstate, Minnesota and Wisconsin
    No, you don't. You just need make sure (if requested) your Landlord is added as an 'Additional Third Party'. Your parents' agent should be able to provide you with a Certificate of Insurance that will satisfy the Landlord in any capacity for the liability coverage they are seeking. You are living there as a temporary student, so your parents' coverage is extended to you temporary residence.
    Answered on May 5, 2015
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>