1. 900 POINTS
    Frank Lombard CPCU ARM
    Insurance Advisor, Massachusetts


    If you are comfortable with and trust the insurer of your car, I would approach them or their agent to see what they would suggest you consider to cover your Personal Property and Liability exposures. Hopefully they would offer you coverage consistent with what you have on your car.
    Most car owners carry insurance to cover the repair of their car if it is damaged in an accident or from some other cause. Insurance on your other personal property should pay you to repair or replace your other personal things if they were damaged.
    Most car owners carry liability insurance to cover them if they injure someone or damage their property in an accident. Tenant homeowners coverage should provide similar coverage for accidents, which do not involve your car.
    It makes sense to me to consider one insurance company to cover both exposures. That makes you a more significant customer, you may get better coverage and pricing, you would pay one company and one company would handle your claims. It’s not always the best alternative, but it is a good place to start.
    Answered on April 8, 2014
  2. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®PRO
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    You should contact your insurance agent.  If you do not have an insurance agent, get referrals from friends, colleagues or neighbors.  A good agent will listen to you and provide sound financial advice.  A good agent will communicate clearly with you and the insurance company.  A good agent will help you evaluate your needs and establish appropriate levels of coverage for your situation.
    Answered on June 25, 2014
  3. 21750 POINTS
    Jim WinklerPRO
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! The best idea always when it comes to buying insurance is to shop around, and go with the one that feels right to you. If that happens to be with the agent that insures you for other stuff, there could be discounts available, so that should be your first choice. If it isn't then you want to look for a reputable company, one in good standing with your State's Department of Insurance, and one well rated by a company like A.M.Best or Standard and Poors. I hope that helps, thanks for asking!
    Answered on June 26, 2014
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>