1. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    Your 401(k) plan is established by your employer.  There is a document that states what you may do with the funds in the separate accounts.  The document will tell you at what point the contributions by the employer become yours.  The document might provide opportunity to withdraw some of the funds for specific purposes.  The plan’s permission to withdraw doesn’t diminish your responsibility to pay tax on the money withdrawn including penalties if you are less than 50.5 years old.
    Answered on August 18, 2014
  2. 21750 POINTS
    Jim Winkler
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! You can, but the question is do you really want to? In many cases, you will lose a substantial amount of the funds' value by doing so, either through loss of unvested contributions, penalties, or from the income tax that is assessed. Those losses can be really steep, up to a third of the value of your fund. If you need to get your hands on some fast cash, try borrowing from your life insurance, or selling something before gutting your future, ok? Please drop me a line if you need help, ok? Thanks for asking!
    Answered on August 22, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>