1. 196 POINTS
    Michael Richardson
    Owner /Agent, Guardian Senior Protection, Dallas Fort Worth Texas
    Grandparents are often considered extended caregivers of grandkids, so they usually have the right to purchase life insurance in the grandchild's name. These policies are typically fairly small, such as $5000-$10,000, and designed only to cover funeral expenses if the child dies as a minor.

    Some states require(check local state requirements) the child's parents to sign off on the policy, but most states allow grandparents to purchase the life insurance without the parents' permission or knowledge. Typically, the grandparents need basic information on the grandchild, such as his address and Social Security number.
    Answered on March 23, 2019
  2. 3998 POINTS
    Matt BenorePRO
    Founder, DenverWest Insurance Professionals, Inc.,
    If you are the owner of the policy then you have the authority to surrender your grandson policy.
    Even if the parents had to sign off on getting this policy you should not have any issues. I would call customer service and ask them what is the process to surrender the policy and what if any cash value is available.

    There most likely will be a surrender charge meaning if there is any cash value available, it will be reduced by the charge.
    The longer the policy is in force, the less the surrender charge will be.

    Good luck.
    Answered on April 3, 2019
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home