A bolt from my garage door opener became lodged in between my trunk and roof of my car. When I opened my trunk, the lid became bent and is damaged. I’m upset because this is a new car (2 months). Would this be covered under comprehensive insurance? I have USAA.

  1. 14231 POINTS
    Tom SheehanPRO
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    That is an interesting question. Based upon your description of the incident, I suspect that there would be coverage under the Comprehensive portion of your auto policy as the cause of the damage was a fallen object. Keep in mind that the final determination of coverage would be made by your claims professional and subject to your policy deductible.
    Answered on December 31, 2014
  2. 1866 POINTS
    Paul RothPRO
    Senior Commercial and Annuity Specialist, Freedom Brokers, Marion, Carbondale, Harrisburg IL
    Comprehensive coverage typically covers items that fall on your car. Hail, deer, and perhaps garage doors are some of those items. If I had comprehensive coverage, and a garage door fell on my car, causing damage significantly in excess of my deductible, (no reason to file a claim for 525.00 repair if the comprehensive deductible is 500.00) I would file the claim. Then, it is up to your insurance company and claim adjuster. Depending on the circumstances, typically I would expect the claim to be paid and settled.
    Answered on July 5, 2016
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>