1. 45 POINTS
    There are essentially two parts to an auto insurance policy. Liability coverage, or as some refer to it as “PL/PD” and physical damage coverage. Most states require some form of liability coverage in order to drive your vehicle legally. But physical damage is an optional coverage you can purchase to protect your vehicle. The most common coverage you will find under the physical damage is comprehensive and collision coverage. Where collision coverage covers just that, collision with another vehicle, comprehensive coverage picks up “other than collision” coverages. Comprehensive provides coverage for losses from fire, theft, hail, falling objects, glass breakage and car/animal accidents.

    Comprehensive provides coverage for loss or damage to your vehicle and its equipment cause by theft, larceny or robbery. It also provides coverage in the event you are tricked into giving your vehicle to another person under false pretenses. Please note that you are subject to your deductible in the event of a loss. What this means is that the insurance company will pay you for the loss less your deductible which may range from $0 to $500 dollars depending on your insurance carrier.

    To stay competitive some insurance companies may offer special perks in their auto coverage such as waiving the deductibles or providing additional coverage such as rental car coverage in the event of theft. So be sure to check with your insurance agent or carrier to see if they provide this coverage.
    Answered on February 20, 2013
  2. 14231 POINTS
    Tom Sheehan
    Agency Owner, The Thomas G Sheehan Agency, 27 Glen Road Sandy Hook, CT 06482
    Theft is a covered peril in an auto policy provided that you carry the physical damage portion known as "Comprehensive". This provides coverage to repair or replace your car if it is damaged or lost as a result of fire, theft, vandalism, coming into contact with an animal, being hit by a falling or flying object etc. Any settlement would of course be subject to your policy deductible.
    Answered on January 6, 2015
  3. 37376 POINTS
    David G. Pipes, CLU®, RICP®
    Business Development Officer, T.D. McNeil Insurance Services, Fresno, California
    There is a current surge in auto theft in our area. This appears to be drug related. Only insurance policies with “comprehensive” coverage provide protection against a theft loss. Many drivers opt for the basic form of auto insurance required by law. Their loss by theft would not be covered.
    Answered on January 7, 2015
  4. 617 POINTS
    Waltere Koti
    Principal Agent, First Insurance Agency Inc, United States
    Auto insurance policy does cover theft if the insured at time of loss is carrying physical damage coverage. The comprehensive portion of the physical damage coverage will cover any theft claim minus the applicable deductible. If the insured at the time of loss is carrying a $500 deductible and vehicle is valued at $10,000 then the insurance company will pay out a $9,500 theft claim to the insured. Hope this was helpfull
    Answered on May 6, 2015
  5. 20 POINTS
    Crystal Naldi
    Insurance Broker, Sameday Insurance,
    Yes insurance can cover it as long as you have the Comprehensive and Collision coverage on your policy, the Comprehenisive part will cover theft because it's something you can't control. You would just have to take care of your deductable first and the insurance company would take care fo the rest.
    Answered on October 26, 2015
  6. 1866 POINTS
    Paul Roth
    Senior Commercial and Annuity Specialist, Freedom Brokers, Marion, Carbondale, Harrisburg IL
    I hope that your question is being asked before any adverse things happened to your car. Car theft is covered under the comprehensive portion of the policy. Comprehensive is also called "other than collision" on your policy, because it covers other perils on your policy besides the colltision and liability section. The "other than collision" covers things like hitting a deer, hail damage, and yes, theft. If your car does get stolen, make sure your police report is accurate and timely. Keep a copy of your policy on your phone or file cabinet, and not just in your car. The sooner you make a police report, the better your chances to recover your property.
    Answered on January 7, 2017
  7. 155 POINTS
    Marcus Nichelson
    Independent Agent, Tipton Hill Insurance, Kansas City, MO
    As a lot of people have already mentioned as long as you carry a "Comprehensive" or "Coverage D" limit(which can be found on your Declarations Page and/or ID Cards) your vehicle will be covered in the event of a theft. Note, that your personal property(clothes, electronics, etc.), a lot of the times are not covered under the theft peril in your auto policy. Typically, these items would be covered under an extension from your Renters or Homeowners policy. However, I have seen that some companies, depending on what coverage tier/level/option you elect when the policy is started, coverage will apply to personal property, but usually only up to amounts of $500 or less. Its important to talk with your agent or representative about these incidents or find your exclusions and endorsements sections in your policy Declarations page.
    Answered on February 28, 2018
  8. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>