1. 1615 POINTS
    Ryan Andrew
    President, The Andrew Agency, Richmond, VA
    Car insurance always follows the vehicle. If someone is driving your car and they have an accident the owners insurance policy is primary. If someone drives your car on a regular basis they need to be listed on your policy as an active driver. Car sharing is gaining momentum around the country but you need to check with your insurance agent to see if your policy will provide coverage for car sharing. Most personal auto policies will not.
    Answered on May 29, 2014
  2. 900 POINTS
    Frank Lombard CPCU ARM
    Insurance Advisor, Massachusetts


    I feel it’s important to add to this discussion that should you be driving someone else’s car with their permission and be involved in an accident, the car owner’s insurance would be primary (first to pay) but insurance coverage you carry on your car, if you have one, would be excess.
    In other words, if your limits were greater than those covering the borrowed car or your coverage were broader, your coverage should be available once the car owner’s limits are exhausted.
    Answered on May 29, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>