1. 21750 POINTS
    Jim WinklerPRO
    CEO/Owner, Winkler Financial Group, Houston, Texas
    That is a great question! As far as your insurance company is concerned, it will make no difference who caused the damage that resulted in your claim, the fact that they have to pay out on it is what matters. If the claim is filed listing your husband as the cause of the damage, then it is a pretty good bet that one of you will see a rate hike, if not both (if you are on separate policies - one a work vehicle, paperwork not completed, etc.).
    That said, there are some things to consider. Your policy may have a "first accident forgiveness" clause, and assuming that this is his/your first accident (many companies now offer this) you may not have any change in your rates. Another thing to consider is whether the damage done to your car will cost less to fix than your deductible amount is. If the repairs are $500 and your deductible is $1000, you would end up paying for the repairs yourself anyway. At that point, does it make sense to report the accident at all and risk the rate hike?
    I'd suggest that you review your policy and look for the forgiveness clause, and see if that would work for you. I'd also get an estimate or two, and compare them to the deductible you would end up paying. If you have the forgiveness perk, and the damage is extensive, I'd file the claim. If the damage is less than the deductible, I'd probably skip filing the claim, and just get the damage repaired.
    It might work best if you contact your agent and ask them how they recommend you proceed as they would know much better your policy and driving records than I would. I hope that helps, and that you find a pleasant outcome to your unpleasant problem! Thank you for asking!
    Answered on February 17, 2016
  2. 1866 POINTS
    Paul RothPRO
    Senior Commercial and Annuity Specialist, Freedom Brokers, Marion, Carbondale, Harrisburg IL
    The answer depends on the coverage you purchase and the Company from which you purchase the coverage. I represent one company that will not surcharge you for one at fault (it's your fault) accident. In five years, they wipe the slate clean, and you are good to go again. I have heard horror stories of companies that triple the premium when you have had an accident. It always amazes me that some folks will shop hard, get an app, to save a penny a gallon on gas, and won't get two quotes for their car because (fill in the blanks ) their brother in law's sister's cousin is the agent. Then they won't change, even though the premiums are 500.00 per year different. If you really like your brother in laws sister's cousin, change insurance companies, save 500.00 and with the money you save, pay your brother in law's sister's cousin the amount of the commission they would get from the insurance company for a christmas present. You'll be ahead.
    Answered on May 9, 2016
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>