1. 1575 POINTS
    Christopher LawrencePRO
    Insurance Broker | Financial Consultant, Lawrence Insurance Consulting, Southern New Jersey
    Yes and no. One can only establish a HSA if they are enrolled in a qualifying High Deductible Health Plan. However one may establish a HSA and can maintain it for the rest of their lives, collecting compound interest and using it to pay for qualified medical expenses(before age 65) after the age 65 a HSA account is treated exactly like a IRA.
    Answered on July 18, 2013
  2. 5527 POINTS
    Marlin McKelvyPRO
    President, Consumer Directed Benefit Solutions, Memphis, Tennessee
    Health Savings Accounts were by law set-up to be paired with a specific type of high deductible health insurance plan.  So, one must accompany the other.  Each year the IRS announces the guidelines for what the range of acceptable deductible levels are for HSA qualified health insurance plans and the maximum amounts people can contribute to their Health Savings Account.

    Qualified high deductible health insurance plans for 2014 can have a deductible starting at $1250 for individual coverage and $2500 for family coverage.  The maximum out-of-pocket exposure under these plans can be no more than $6350 for an individual and $12,700 for a family.  The maximum an individual under the age of 55 can contribute to a Health Savings Account in this year is $3300 for an individual and $6550 for a family.  Persons 55+ can contribute an additional $1000 to their HSA account.

    The amounts that persons contribute to their Health Savings Account is 100% deductible from their gross income and can accumulate tax free and as long as withdrawals from the HSA are for covered medical expenses there are no tax consequences for the use of these funds.  HSA funds can be accessed for non-eligible expenses but such withdrawals are subject to a tax penalty.
    Answered on May 7, 2014
  3. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>