1. 5527 POINTS
    Marlin McKelvy
    President, Consumer Directed Benefit Solutions, Memphis, Tennessee
    Yes, assuming that we are talking about normal use of a motorcycle for transportation, in that case it is no different than if you are involved in an auto accident. Your health insurance carrier will want to coordinate with any benefits you may receive for an accident under your vehicle insurance and that come sometimes lead to some frustrating back and forth between insurance companies as they argue over who pays what and when.

    If, you are engaging in certain types of activities with your motorcycle, especially if they are moneymaking or high risk activities you may find those activities excluded from coverage. So, if you just know you can do the Evel Kenevil jump across the Grand Canyon on national TV you had better get a special insurance policy for that kind of activity.
    Answered on September 16, 2014
  2. 15645 POINTS
    Edward HarrisPRO
    Owner, Best Health And Car Insurance Rates - Instant Online Quotes, US
    Your health insurance policy will cover a motorcycle accident, if it is a qualified Marketplace plan in your state. Typically, ER and other major medical expenses are part of the benefit package. A deductible and/or coinsurance may apply, depending on which tier of plans you chose. Physical damage to the motorcycle (collision and comprehensive) would only be provided on a separate policy.

    A federal subsidy may have been available to help you pay for coverage. Open Enrollment allows you to change plans and compare all available options.

    Answer provided by: Ed Harris - Premier Health Insurance Broker since 1980 and owner of several top-rated consumer websites that offer the lowest available rates.
    Answered on September 16, 2014
  3. 1866 POINTS
    Paul Roth
    Senior Commercial and Annuity Specialist, Freedom Brokers, Marion, Carbondale, Harrisburg IL
    Health insurance policies are designed to cover those injuries sustained in a vehicle accident, whether the accident is on a four wheeler, ATV, UTV, car or motorcycle. Health insurance comes with a deductible, which may be as high as 6000.00 with some Affordable Care Act policies. To cover some of those health insurance costs that are correlated with an auto or motorcycle accident, you need to add Medical Payment, or "Med Pay" coverage to your auto or motorcycle policies in order to cover some of those deductible costs. Med Pay coverage on your vehicle policy is rather inexpensive, and will be one of the first things that you want to cover when you have an injury due to a car accident.
    Answered on April 20, 2017
  4. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>