I need to have the FOB key replaced on my 2008 Avalanche because the spare set was stolen out of my wife’s car.

  1. 1844 POINTS
    David W. Clausen
    Chief Executive Officer, Coastal Homeowners Insurance Solutions, Rocky Point, NY 11778
    That is a good question. In most states coverage for auto related claims will fall under your auto insurance. Having said that, some homeowners insurance policies provide coverage for theft away from premises. The more important question is, "What is your homeowners insurance deductible?" If you have a $500 deductible and the key FOB is $500, and it was covered, you would collect $0 because you haven't exceeded your deductible. Even if your policy did provide coverage, and you exceeded your deductible, I wouldn't recommend you file a claim. Homeowners insurance is best reserved for catastrophic losses like; wind, fire, hail, lightning, hurricanes, water damage from a pipe burst, etc. If you file a claim for your key FOB and next week have to file another claim because of something listed above, the insurance company will have grounds to non-renew or cancel your policy. Even if they didn't cancel your policy, you could see a rate increase because of the claim that was submitted for your key FOB. Over the next few years you would likely exceed the value of the key FOB with increased insurance premium cost. The thought process by the insurance companies is "frequency leads to severity" and insurance companies do not like severity. Hope this answer helps.
    Answered on September 22, 2015
  2. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>