1. 63333 POINTS
    Peggy MacePRO
    Most of the U.S.
    Yes, you can have life insurance on an ex-spouse if they will agree to sign the application and submit to any underwriting requirements needed to apply for it, and if you still have an insurable interest in your ex-spouse's life. I.e. Does your ex-spouse pay child support or alimony? If he/she passed away, would you or your children suffer financially? If the answer is yes, sometimes the court will help you go about obtaining a policy in the divorce settlement.
    Answered on June 12, 2013
  2. 11773 POINTS
    Larry GilmorePRO
    Agent Owner, Gilmore Insurance Services, Marysville, Washington State
    Can you have life insurance on an ex-spouse?   Yes, there are two ways to have life insurance on a ex-spouse. Actually three. The first and simplest, is to have it in place before divorcing and be the policy owner. As Policy owner you control the policy. The second is have the EX agree to be covered and go through the process. Finally have the courts require the EX obtain life insurance. This third way is often over looked in divorce which is a shame because in support situations it makes perfect sense.
    Answered on June 12, 2013
  3. 530 POINTS
    Ms. Q. Harvelle
    Life Insurance Agent, Brokers Revolution,
    You can have life insurance on an ex-spouse as long as it is considered an "insurable interest." What that means is you have a familial relationship with said person. You should check with the insurance company (or your agent) to make sure the company agrees that you have an insurable interest. Also, the ex- spouse must acknowledge the policy by signing the policy application.
    Answered on June 12, 2013
  4. 0 POINTS
    David RacichPRO
    Fountain Hills, Arizona
    If the divorce decree calls for life insurance coverage, then the attorney has more than likely established insurable interest. But if no directive exists and there is no financial or insurable interest between the two parties the answer is no. And keep in mind that without the signature of the ex-spouse, you can’t move forward with the life insurance application.
    Answered on June 12, 2013
  5. 5082 POINTS
    J Paul Wilson CFP, CHFCPRO
    Certified Financial Planner, JPW Insurance Retirement Investments, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Life insurance companies look for insurable interest before issuing a policy. In other words you would be suffering an economic loss.

    If you the insurance was placed in force while you were married and you are asking can you keep the policy in force the answer is yes. If you are asking can you place a new policy on the life of your ex-spouse the answer is yes IF there is insurable interest and with their permission. Sometimes insurance is required in a divorce settlement so it is quite common.

    If you have further questions, or feel that I could be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

    If you would like to work with a local life insurance broker, you could start with a Google search. For example, if you search for: life insurance broker Halifax or life insurance agent Halifax, my name, along with several others, will come up. You can use the same method to find a life insurance broker in your community.
    Answered on May 15, 2014
  6. 4249 POINTS
    Gary LanePRO
    President, Lane Independent Agency, Southern California
    Yes, if you have some insurable interest, such as getting payments from that person. If that is the case, then there is absolutely no reason not to get such a policy for your own protection, if the court order could be read or interpreted to extend such payments past death (which is very rare). However, you also must inform the ex that you are getting such a policy. Thank you. GARY LANE.
    Answered on May 15, 2014
  7. Did you find these answers helpful?

Add Your Answer To This Question

You must be logged in to add your answer.

<< Previous Question
Questions Home
Next Question >>